offline courtesy among list members

Subject: offline courtesy among list members
From: SIANNON -at- VISUS -dot- JNJ -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 8:43:27

This is actually a very good question/issue to bring up.

I'll admit I'm running about 50/50 with my responses on brief messages,
because I was actually told that one-word "thanks" messages were IMpolite,
because it generated unnecessary email traffic for those with low bandwidth
or heavy time constraints, who get more annoyed at having to weed through
the volume. (See also "me too" message traffic on mailing lists)

After getting chastized for that, I've been ambivalent about how to respond
ever since, and take it on a case-by-case basis.

It's good to hear contradictory opinions, actually...

...and then there are those messages I intend to reply to with more than a
one-word "thanks", but then never get a chance to follow up on because of
time constraints under the latest wave of deadlines, but that's just poor
time management on my part.... :\

S.

custom cover design, and distribution to 25,000 retailers. And it's
affordable. Join our almost 10,000 published authors today.
http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr