Offline courtesy

Subject: Offline courtesy
From: "Jo Baer" <jbaer -at- tcfbank -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 10:22:13 -0600

Well, I won't quote everything I agree with and everything I disagree
with. And
I thank you all in advance for taking the time to read my post. I think
this is
a good discussion--common courtesy seems to have vanished from much of
society,
and often from not only this list but other lists as well. It's easier
to ignore
the niceties when you're not face to face with the person with whom
you're
"conversing."

It's apparent from this discussion that not everyone has the same
perception of
what is courteous and what is not. It seems that fewer people would be
offended
or annoyed by receiving a thank you than would be offended or annoyed by
not
receiving one. So, I guess you do your best and understand that you will
never
please everyone.

My experience on this list is that people are very helpful (most people,
most of
the time), and that those who find help quite often publicly thank the
member(s)
who contributed solutions. I hope I have always remembered to thank
people for
the help that I've received. And I *still* get thank you emails from
people who
have discovered the documentation plan on the techwhirlers site. This
surprises
me, because the plan is freely available; nobody needs permission to
copy it,
revise it, fold, spindle, or mutilate it. (I am merely one of the
co-authors of
the plan--I do hope that people note there are three authors.)

In conclusion, thank you, or not, as you wish.

Jo

--
Jo Baer
Senior Technical Writer

The mome rath isn't born that could outgrabe me.

Nicol Williamson

custom cover design, and distribution to 25,000 retailers. And it's
affordable. Join our almost 10,000 published authors today.
http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr