RE: Prerequisites for a tech writing career

Subject: RE: Prerequisites for a tech writing career
From: Elizabeth Estep <EEstep -at- mrisystem -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 12:22:05 -0500

I'm a newly promoted Documentation Mgr. When HR asked me "So what do you
really need in a candidate" I had to make up a job description that
parallels your list of qualities remarkably well.

1. Writes well.
2. Learns and researches efficiently.
3. Manages time and other resources effectively.
4. Plays well with others

I include the last because there's nothing like trying to get a programmer
to explain what the heck that thing does when they a) don't want to answer
or b) don't want to admit they don't really know either to drive you nuts.

The really funny part is how much these criteria at first confused HR (Q:
But don't they need Framemaker experience? A: See Number 2.) but eventually
made the Recruiter very happy, because she's finally managed to fill the
last two positions in my department.

Anyway, I'd take anyone including a career lab tech (Starts Jan 2) if they
can demonstrate these 4 qualities. Anything else (Robohelp/Frame/Database
Design) we can teach, but without these four basic qualities, all the OJT in
the world doesn't help.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents as a hiring manager.

Elizabeth