Re: techwr-l posting and Spam :-(

Subject: Re: techwr-l posting and Spam :-(
From: Andrew Plato <intrepid_es -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 22:30:20 -0800 (PST)

"Mark Gadzikowski" wrote...

> Hello listas
>
> This email follows up on the discussion of SPAM generated by posting to
indeed
> generates SPAM. :-(

I don't think so.

First, all TECHWR-L posts are mirrored to a widely available newsgroup
bit.listserv.techwr-l. Eric and TECHWR-L have no control over this
newsgroup, as it is part of the public domain of newsgroups. I assume they
do this out of convenience for list members. There are NUMEROUS spam
spiders that harvest email addresses from these newsgroups everyday. This
has nothing to do with TECHWR-L.

Second, virtually all hotmail and yahoo accounts are published in
publically available directories. There are NUMEROUS spam spiders that
constantly scan these directories for new listings. Once one spammer picks
you up, they will resell you to other spam groups. Again, nothing to do
with TECHWR-L.

Therefore, your "evidence" that TECHWR-L generates spam isn't compelling.
If you want to avoid spam that much - turn your computer off.

Andrew Plato

http://greetings.yahoo.com