Re: offline courtesy among list members [late and long]

Subject: Re: offline courtesy among list members [late and long]
From: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2001 11:16:36 -0500

Sorry to revisit a thread several days late, but I've been away and am just catching up.

FIRST, to Hannah and anyone else I've helped who has not taken the time to write me a thank you note, detailed or otherwise: I wasn't expecting one and am always pleasantly surprised when I get one. Often someone asks a simple how-to question on the list that has been discussed to death and I just dash off a quick off-list how-to response, with no social niceties in my reply, to solve the immediate problem for the person without wasting list bandwidth or a lot of my own time. In any case, I don't interpret the lack of a thank you as rude. This isn't about feelings; it's about getting the job done; and I assume you were pressed for time in the first place, or you wouldn't have written your urgent plea for help to the list.

SECOND (not to Hannah, but to the list in general), I think there is a larger issue that does need to be addressed regarding offline courtesy.

Most off-list exchanges go well. But periodically the original poster misinterprets my comments and goes off on me--typically accusing me of having a bad relationship with my mother, among other things. I am always taken aback by these vituperative communications because they are invariably in response to what I thought was a friendly, neutral (sometimes jocular) response to something posted to the list.

I know from correspondence with some others, that I'm not the only one who receives this vitriol; and I conclude, of course, that the person sending it has some sort of problem that I'm not involved in. Nonetheless, these emails are upsetting.

What I would ask of people who send such mail is that you think twice before doing so. Yes, I know that most of you do so from behind a cloak of anonymity (so much for the democratic principle of standing up to be counted); so the consequences to you may be minimal.* But I would like to ask you to follow a process:

1. Please reread the mail you are responding to. Consider whether you may have misinterpreted the content or the tone. Consider whether you are projecting on the author some trait of personality you dislike in a different person altogether that is not present in this person.

2. Please think about whether you are responding as a "reasonable person" would respond (in quotes because it is a legal concept, not because I think you are an unreasonable person).

3. Ask youself why I, or some other correspondent, would presume to criticize you as a person based on a question you posed to the list. At least consider the possibility that we are only responding to what you wrote and not to the person who wrote it.

4. Determine if what you are writing would be an acceptable posting to the list. If not, don't send it privately, either.

5. Finally, please conform to the courtesy of replying off-list to messages received off-list. It is improper, to say the least, to respond on-list to private correspondence.

* Anecdote concerning how you can hurt yourself more than you realize: One new list member posted something that I thought a more experienced member would not have posted. I advised this person off-list, politely and gently I thought, that it would have been better to have approached the situation a bit differently. This new member proceeded to call me all sorts of names and to demand that I never correspond privately again, promising to kill-file my name in any case. Subsequent to that incident, the same new member has posted any number of questions to the list (in some cases inappropriately, IMHO) and continued to whine publicly when these difficult questions did not receive prompt, thoroughly researched responses. In some cases they were questions I might have been able to shed light on, but I have chosen not to bother. The private discourtesy to me has resulted in the member's receiving less apt advice than might have been available otherwise.

Dick Margulis

Hannah Bissell wrote:

okay,

now i feel like a cad. i've gotten some very good advice from this list and
always thought that specific responses were not wanted. like some others, i
saw it as taking up bandwidth and interrupting someone's time - someone that
has already taken time to answer my questions quite graciously - with my
simple thank you. they get my email, they have to scan for viruses before
they can open it, and then it basically says thank you for being so
helpful - you are so right. not that this is a bad thing, but most people
have demands and deadlines just like i do and these are just interruptions.

i like the idea of nm in the subject line, though. i will be doing that in
the future.

anyway, i'd like to take this moment to thank some people who have sent me
very valuable information. i know this doesn't include everyone who's helped
me out, but it's some of them: Margaret Cekis, John Posada (on several
occassions), Jo Baer (several times), Steve Hudson (several times), Dick
Margulis (several times), Geoff Hart (several times), Andrew Dugas, Uta
Surkau, John Banks, Jean Weber, Glenn MacEwan, Tom Johnson, and the
countless people who have answered questions i didn't even know i had. my
apologies for any slights i've caused.

custom cover design, and distribution to 25,000 retailers. And it's
affordable. Join our almost 10,000 published authors today.
http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr