Difference between process and task-based?

Subject: Difference between process and task-based?
From: "Lisa Wright" <liwright -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2002 05:32:25 -0800

Hi all,
I'm discussing a possible contract with a potential client, and I'm
trying to do a little groundwork. The contract would be writing
documentation for a process that has been "productized." My thinking is
that it's fairly complex based on my basic knowledge of the industry.
The client wants to get something started quickly as they want to
include the documentation in their beta testing in February or March, so
I'm trying to develop an approach in case I do land the deal.

Without knowing too much about the product yet, it seems as if I need to
go a step beyond just task-based writing and incorporate some serious
instructional design. I was looking on Amazon and found books on
"procedures" and "instructional design/training design," but nothing
that clicked. I don't think a simple procedural approach with do it
(though I realize that procedures can be complex). On the other hand, I
could be making this too hard (I've been known to do that from time to
time!).

Is there really a difference between task-based and process
documentation? Also, if anyone has worked on something like this before,
I'd love to hear pointers or suggested approaches. I'm planning to bone
up on instructional design anyway--a lot of what I do is essentially
training, and I need to develop a better approach.

Thanks a bunch!
Lisa