Re: [Re: STC Membership]

Subject: Re: [Re: STC Membership]
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2002 11:19:58 -0800

Hannah wrote:

Question: If you were looking at hiring a TW and saw they were a member of
STC, would that be a mark against them in your mind? Would that be a negative?
(Assuming the rest of the resume fits your needs and has the required
experience for the position in question.)

My answer: while I have little use for the STC, I'd try not to let membership in the STC have any effect one way or the other when I made hiring decisions. The only requirement for STC membership is a certain amount of cash. As a result, membership indicates nothing about a person's writing ability one way or the other.

Nor does active involvement. From my days in English Departments, I know that the ability to play politics is very different from the ability to write or manage.

"Whoever invented the policeman ought to be licked into shape,
Toughened and trained till the body's a cane...
Till obedience rules and encircles the brain
With walls so he'll never escape."
- Leon Rosselson "Whoever Invented the Fishfinger"

Sponsored by eHelp Corporation, makers of RoboHelp - the industry standard
in Help authoring. Download a trial version today or get special savings when you buy the RoboHelp 2002 Holiday Edition. Visit http://www.ehelp.com/techwr