Re: Client woes: a question to ask yourself...

Subject: Re: Client woes: a question to ask yourself...
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2002 12:21:39 -0800

Rebecca Stevenson wrote:

At 11:22 AM -0800 1/7/02, Bruce Byfield wrote:

Your comment brings up an interesting point: why do most technical writing programs almost entirely ignore the business aspects?

Do most graduates of technical writing programs plan to go into business for themselves?

Many writers find themselves contracting at some point in their careers. Even more fantasize about someday making their living as an independent contractor. I don't know any exact figures, but those who actually try contracting must be a sizeable minority at the very least - and the fantasizers seem a definite majority.

So, all in all, it would be a useful topic to mention.

"I have lead a good life, quiet and artistic,
Now I shall have an old age, coarse and anarchistic."
- Utah Phillips

Sponsored by eHelp Corporation, makers of RoboHelp - the industry standard
in Help authoring. Download a trial version today or get special savings when you buy the RoboHelp 2002 Holiday Edition. Visit http://www.ehelp.com/techwr