Citing "expired" sources

Subject: Citing "expired" sources
From: "Lisa Wright" <liwright -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 21:49:25 -0800

I ran across a new situation today and was wondering if anyone has
experienced this before. I looked in the Chicago manual and tried some
online resources, but I couldn't find any guidance.

In a document I am copy editing, the author (no longer at the company)
included a quote that was from an article posted on news.com, the source
indicated as "Reuters/news.com" with the URL listed. So, like any good
copy editor would :), I check to see if the URL works. I got the message
"The article is expired." When I searched for the article title using
the site's search engine, I got the same thing. The Reuters site
provided nothing.

Now I'm honestly not too worried about this, especially as it's an
internal audience and the article evidently DID exist at one time, but I
am curious how others would handle this? How do you cite online
resources in general, given that they can disappear? I was having a hard
time making heads or tails of the info in the Chicago manual this
morning (though that could also have been the lack of sleep and the
inability to focus one of my eyes!).

Thanks,
Lisa Wright

Sponsored by eHelp Corporation, makers of RoboHelp - the industry standard
in Help authoring. Download a trial version today or get special savings when
you buy the RoboHelp 2002 Holiday Edition. Visit http://www.ehelp.com/techwr