Client woes, business savvy, and (last but not least) Elna...

Subject: Client woes, business savvy, and (last but not least) Elna...
From: Charles E Vermette <cvermette -at- juno -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2002 09:59:51 -0500

From: Jim Shaeffer <jims -at- spsi -dot- com> wrote:

<<<I'd say that 80% of the questions kicked around on this list
are best answered by:

1. doing cost/benefit analyses
2. analyzing "make vs. buy" decisions
or
3. figuring out who has the clout to make an arbitrary
decision stick and then letting that person make the
decision.

These sorts of things are "business savvy," not writing or
technical writing skills...>>>

Right on, Jim. To paraphrase scripture, "Those with ears to hear, let
them hear."

If you plan on freelancing, do the following:

- save jim's post
- tape it to your computer and read it every morning
- get experience doing steps 1 through 3 before you even hang up your
shingle.

you will probably need to get that experience working for someone else,
and stretching beyond TW into a management/operations role.
(alternatively, you can get management/operations experience in another
field...) While classes, case studies and role playing may help, they
simply don't match the experience of having real money and real decisions
on the table...

Elna, my personal opinion is that with the CFH, something went awry with
steps 1 and 3. I've felt this strongly since your original post. I will
go into detail with my opinion if you like...feel free to contact me
privately as well.

-Chuck

Charles E. Vermette
85 Washington Park Drive, Norwell MA 02061
781-659-1836
e-mail: cvermette -at- juno -dot- com
web: http://www.charlesvermette.com