RE: Career paths of lone technical writers

Subject: RE: Career paths of lone technical writers
From: KMcLauchlan -at- chrysalis-its -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2002 12:32:05 -0500

My take on the situation is that you have
these options:

1) Work for largish companies that have
actual documentation departments.
In that case, you start as whatever
level they hire, and you get bumped
up on some seniority schedule or other,
but headroom depends on the ambitions
(or the health...) of the manager.
The uphill climb can take years or
decades in a stable organization.
In that situation, you are more likely
to achieve promotion by jumping between
companies or between divisions of really
big companies (that last option is also
nice in that you keep seniority and bennies).

2) Work for smallish, startup companies,
where you are the lone writer and where
you have all kinds of rapid promotion
prospects IF the company grows rapidly.
On the other hand, a company that stumbles
or a general economic slowdown can put you
in my position... hiring is frozen, and
my little helpers (and the beginning of
my doco empire) will not become a reality
until things take off again. Meanwhile,
pay and prospects stagnate, but pay is good
enough to discourage experimental hopping
to other companies. Hope economic upturn
comes soon, sez I...

3) Work as a lone contractor or freelancer. If you
handle your own marketing and other chores,
your limits are your abilities... and you'll
find you hit those limits early in your
career. After that point, all moves are
lateral. You can only perform just so much
work, and you get only so good at lining up
the next job... and then you run out of time
in a day. That's the cap on your dollars.

4) Do number three above, but then start sub-contracting
and turn yourself into an agency. Of course,
"promotion" comes at the cost of leaving writing
to others, and taking on management and sales
responsibilities full-time. Beware the
discontinuity between the time that you need to
hire the first members of your stable and the time
that you have enough of them, and enough work
coming in to actually pay for you to be a full-
time boss. You can be CEO and work half days
(any twelve hours you choose...) and make less
take-home than your writers do, for several years.

5) Work for an agency as an employee, in which
case it becomes much like working for a
similar-size customer company, but you get
to jump around to a variety of assignments.
You may enjoy a mix of working at your
company's premises and at the customer
premises.
The agency may have enough depth to keep
you employed between assignnments. Your options
for promotion are similar to those in a
customer company that could support a department
of the same size. If somebody dies or ascends,
you have a chance to fill a position. :-)

6) Work for an agency as a contractor, in
which case you don't get bennies, but you
may get more bucks in your pocket. Between
assignments, you don't have income. This may
not be the most attractive option, but it may
be all that they offer. You DO have more
scope for income-tax deductions.
I'd bet that the promotion opportunities are
less in this situation because you tend to
spend most of your time away from the office
and thus away from the political whirl.

YMMV.

I'm on a s**t list, so this posting will be
released only after a four-hour delay. So,
others may have said the same things by then... :-)

/kevin

> [...]

Sponsored by eHelp Corporation, makers of RoboHelp. RoboHelp 2002 is now available! Get the very latest in Help functionality
to create superior Help systems. Get special savings when you buy
in January! Visit http://www.ehelp.com/techwr