RE: New TECHWR-L Poll Question

Subject: RE: New TECHWR-L Poll Question
From: "White, Bonita" <BWhite -at- CSXWT -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2002 13:20:59 -0500

>I can't help wondering: does society place too much emphasis on getting
along with everybody in the workplace?

I think that society does place too much emphasis on getting along with
everyone. A developer was recently "released" because he had rubbed a lot
of people the wrong way. He was a great developer, he knew what he was
doing, he was helpful when there were problems, but he had no filter on his
mouth. If he thought it, it came out and he didn't care if it was
diplomatic or not. So he is not here anymore and other people had to pick
up the slack after he was gone.

>Personally, I can develop a decent working relation with almost anyone (or
so I tell myself).

I feel the same way. I can also hide fairly well the distaste I have for
some co-workers so that I can do my job. No one likes everyone that you
come in contact with in the work place. But that should not hinder you from
doing your job.

>So, as long as they're not assaulting each other in the aisles or sniping
at each other verbally, why do we worry so much about how they get along?

I think that humane nature causes us to want to get along with everyone. I
don't think we can help it to a certain extent. It is just our make up. We
are social creatures.

Just my two cents,

Bonita