RE: Round #4263 with the Client From Hell

Subject: RE: Round #4263 with the Client From Hell
From: "Barry Kieffer" <Barry -dot- Kieffer -at- worldwidepackets -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2002 14:35:13 -0800

I seem to remember being in a seminar led by JoAnne Hackos when she brought up this very scenario. She was explaining the concept of creeping scope and how it affects documentation plans. It was something like this:

Looking at a house plan is like looking at a documentation plan - many people cannot understand what is going to be delivered until they see it start to take shape. Now that they see it taking shape they say: "Hey Ms. Contractor, I would like the kitchen larger, can you move that load bearing wall over a few feet - how much time and how hard can that be?"

The answer from Ms. Contractor should be the same answer from us: "No problem, let me rework the house plan (doc plan) and let you know how much more it will cost and how much more time it will add to the schedule."

That would be the world I would love to live in. As for me, I sigh, say no problem, and work an extra few hours a day to accommodate. But in my dreams...

Barry Kieffer
Portland, Oregon USA