RE: Component one acquires Forehelp

Subject: RE: Component one acquires Forehelp
From: KMcLauchlan -at- chrysalis-its -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2002 16:08:07 -0500

Hey all. Over on FrameUsers, there's a minor
kafuffle about Component One acquiring the
rights to a few select bits of (now-defunct)
ForeHelp's technologies, to incorporate into
a future release of Doc-To-Help.

The Component One representative already stated
that they do not intend to move away from their
connection-with/dependence-on MS Word. This,
obviously, is a blow to FrameMaker users, who
have happily been using FM to create source for
ForeHelp (may it rust in peace).

I don't use Doc-To-Help or Robo, but it looks
like they'll be the major remaining players
for the next while.

Do they need just the Word file format? Or do
they enjoy a more intimate entanglement with Word?

I'm asking because it appears that StarOffice
now has pretty solid import/export of Word files
... if all that's needed are .doc files...

It wouldn't help people who wanted to use Frame
for authoring the source, but it might be an
option for people who just want to escape MS products.

/kevin

PS: It's lookin' better and better for Linux desktop
here at the company. The IT gang is busy fiddlin'
with Red Hat and SuSE, and I'm doing a trial to
produce one of my (until now) Frame documents
entirely in Linux. So far, so-so...