RE: How (not) to speak English properly

Subject: RE: How (not) to speak English properly
From: "Jane Carnall" <jane -dot- carnall -at- digitalbridges -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 16:45:16 -0000

If you google on one of the phrases - for example, "Analogies in writing are
like feathers on a snake" you get over 1300 hits. Some variant or other of
this list has been rolling around the Internet (and, no doubt, around
how-to-write courses and handbooks) for some years. The number of rules
ranges from 20 to 50. The author is sometimes cited as William Safire,
source, _Rules for Writers_, but I suspect it's been added to and tweaked
with for quite a while.