Re: Documentation planning (was Re: FW: Extreme Technical Writing)

Subject: Re: Documentation planning (was Re: FW: Extreme Technical Writing)
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 09:56:15 -0800 (PST)

> Good question, as I'm the first (and lone) tech writer
> brought into a company that had no documenatation
> standards whatsoever. This is my first experience in a
> situation like this, I've received little guidance,
> and I've made some mistakes. Here are a few random
> thoughts.

> Spend the first 2-3 weeks getting the "lay of the
> land." Talk to department heads and key players to

This advice comes from having been the new writer at more than 10
situations.

Spend the first week writing something and getting it distributed. It
could be only three pages long. Why? Until everyone sees that you
aren't an idiot, they will be hesitant to appear associated with you.
If it should turn out that 2 weeks after you are there, they find out
that you can't string a noun and verb together, whoever was
associated with you will feel tainted.

You aren't hired to get the lay of the land. You are hired, as a
technical writer, to write something technical. Too many people talk
the talk. Too few people walk the walk.

=====
John Posada, Senior Technical Writer

Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail!