Re: Business cards (was RE: A brief intro and a question)

Subject: Re: Business cards (was RE: A brief intro and a question)
From: "Dick Margulis " <margulis -at- mail -dot- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 15:06:32 -0500

Rebecca Stevenson (I think) inquires:

>Okay, consider me sold on the concept of printing up business cards.
>My question now is, would it make any sense to include the
>technologies I'm good with as part of that information? Programming
>languages? Should I save that for the resume?

On your business card, say what you do, not how you do it. You do writing and layout for print and online, perhaps. Or maybe you want to go up a level and say you do menus, flyers, brochures, Web sites. (Which approach you take depends on who your target audience is.) Save the tools list for the résumé. If you commit it to print on a business card, it sounds as if you don't plan on learning any more programming languages this year.

In any case, keep the blurb to a minimum number of words. Don't tell the whole story unless you are going to get artsy and design a non-standard card (folding, or printed two sides or whatever). In the latter case, do not, repeat do not, end up with something that is odd-sized. If it doesn't fit into a wallet or a standard card holder, it will be discarded.

RoboHelp for FREE, through January 15th. RoboHelp can import your existing
Help projects! Learn how else RoboHelp can benefit you. www.ehelp.com/techwr