Fw: Editing Marks - Please Help!!!

Subject: Fw: Editing Marks - Please Help!!!
From: "Ivan Weiss" <ivan -dot- weiss -at- centurytel -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 22:51:31 -0800

"Jean Weber" <jean -at- wrevenge -dot- com -dot- au> wrote in message
news:<4 -dot- 2 -dot- 2 -dot- 20020111132135 -dot- 00a6f8f0 -at- pop3 -dot- norton -dot- antivirus>...
> I have rarely worked in a place where anyone else understood any of
> the
> standard publisher's proofreading marks, so although I do know them
myself,
> I normally don't use them when editing on paper. Unless I've
established
> that the writer being edited does understand the standard marks, I
find
> that using them just confuses people.
>
> Instead, I circle, highlight, or otherwise mark a problem, then write
> my
> comments in the margin. If I'm just marking punctuation or minor
spelling
> errors that can be indicated in the text, I just write it in (if
there's
> room for someone to see it clearly) and make a mark (often a "change
bar"
> sort of attention-getter) in the margin. I guess this is what Anthony
would
> call "free hand."
>
> Most of the time, I edit electronically, so "standard publisher's
> marks"
> aren't an issue.

I have been using the "standard publisher's marks" for years. Right now
I am wrapping up proofreading the third iteration of an 800-page
document, with my trusty Chicago Manual of Style close at hand.

I wouldn't edit or proofread hard copy your way on a bet, but that's
because I'm thoroughly comfortable in the traditional style. A
"free-hand" editing or proofreading style can be just as effective, but
it needs to be consistent. If you find the same mistake more than once,
it behooves you to mark it the same way each time. It will make it far
easier for whomever has to make the actual corrections.

I have been, many times, the person at the other end of idiosyncratic
editing and proofreading marks. Having to fix the same error that has
been marked differently each time is no picnic. But I'm sure an
experienced tech writer would know that intuitively. :-)
--
Ivan Weiss http://www.nwguild.org
Vashon WA http://www.unionrecord.com