Re: Alone from the start (was: Documentation planning)

Subject: Re: Alone from the start (was: Documentation planning)
From: John Cornellier <tw -at- cornellier -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 10:10:21 +0100

Yeah. Back in 1992. For ages I didn't even know the job title "technical writer" existed, until
someone went on holiday to New York and found an STC brochure in a public library or
somewhere.

It was a stressful experience. Quite late in the project I scrapped all my work & started over
because what I'd done was merely descriptive of the functionality (spec-based) rather than user-
oriented (procedure based). Still, I'm glad I myself tried different methods of documenting. than
being given a template and a mentor.

In retrospect, most of the difficulties I encountered were not because of my ignorance and
inexperience regarding tech writing, e.g. doc design, writing, planning. That stuff I was able to
pick up by studying the many user manuals lying around the office and at home. Rather, the
difficulties were due to bad project management. The management of the whole engineering
project was poor, and the management of the tech writing part was non-existent. Had I had
experience with other "properly run" projects, I would have been better equipped.

If I could do it again? Yup. The good outweighs the bad. As a junior TW in a large pubs group,
I'd be worried about turning into a gopher, over-specializing in some of the secondary tasks:
revising, formatting, indexing, proofreading, editing. (Not that I'm belittling the latter, I just mean
they're secondary in the sense that they depend on the primary task of writing). As a junior in a
large pubs group you might not get to do much writing and project planning.

But that's just my personal preference - 'cause that's what suits my temperament. Some people
might be better suited to working in a large group, and in the long term that might serve them
equally well as a start to tech writing.

John Cornellier

> Has anyone on this list been the lone writer on their
> *very first* job (i.e. working in-house) or project?

RoboHelp for FREE, through January 15th. RoboHelp can import your existing
Help projects! Learn how else RoboHelp can benefit you. www.ehelp.com/techwr