RE: Alone from the start

Subject: RE: Alone from the start
From: Win Day <winday -at- rogers -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 10:42:46 -0500

At 08:28 AM 11/01/2002 +0000, SIANNON -at- VISUS -dot- JNJ -dot- com wrote:

Milan Davidovic asks:
"So it appears that a number of people have been hired
as first-time tech writers into situations where
they'd be working on their own. What would lead a
manager to take on a first-timer and have them work
solo?"

The first and easiest reason I can think of is money -- newbies are
cheaper, because they *don't* have the experience under their wing to
charge more.

Another reason I can conceive of, which I heard a long time ago about
English majors, is that when you get someone who hasn't been
"preconditioned" for a specific workflow, it is easier to get them to do
things "your way". Shops with an abbreviated development lifecycle or no
existing review process would not feel like the newcomer's going to come in
and change the processes they are comfortable with.

Also, I would hazard a guess that although many of us jumped into being the lone writer in our first TW gig, we were not necessarily new to the work force.

Me? I brought 14 years of chemical engineering experience to the table. I was hired because I was an engineer who could write. The fact that I hadn't written for a living before was irrelevant.

I had the engineering process down cold. I learned the TW process (or made it up) as I went along.

Win

Win Day
Multimedia Developer

http://www.wordsplus.net
mailto:winday -at- wordsplus -dot- net

Collect Royalties, Not Rejection Letters! Tell us your rejection story when you submit your manuscript to iUniverse Nov. 6 -Dec. 15 and get five free copies of your book. What are you waiting for? http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr