Re: Editing Marks - Please Help!!!

Subject: Re: Editing Marks - Please Help!!!
From: Janice Gelb <janiceg -at- marvin -dot- eng -dot- sun -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 16:10:46 -0800 (PST)

Bruce Byfield wrote:

> Janice Gelb wrote:
>
> >We solved this by adding the marks to our style guide. I
> >think if possible it's best to teach people the standard
> >symbols. They may not be working for the small firm (or
> >big disorganized firm) forever and the standard marks are
> >just that, fairly standard.
> >
> That's a good idea - but only if you can persuade people to learn. All
> too often, you can't. The same people who can go home with a book on the
> weakend and be decent beginners with Perl or Python can't seem to retain
> a few dozen half-familiar symbols in their minds. As a result, you're
> left using a communication system that nobody except you understands.

We include these marks in our internal style guide and
I am always happy to explain a mark if a writer is
unfamiliar with it. There's no need for them to
memorize the marks if they have a handout or easy
reference source to look up those with which they
are unfamiliar.

> What's worse, writers seem inclined to use proofreading marks because
> that's the correct or professional way to edit - not because they're
> useful. This attitude is a good example of being more focused on the
> tool than on the task at hand.

Huh? Is there a better method and more succinct way
to indicate edits that you know about? Also, I've
been using the same marks for over 20 years and
find them both efficient and useful -- I've never
had a writer say that they got in the way or were
difficult to understand.

> >>If you're working to
> >>become a freelance editor, it's well worth your while to learn online
> >>editing. It's generally faster and more efficient for you
> >>
> Do you think so? [snip]

I most assuredly do *not*! That was a quote from Geoff
Hart, not me, and I replied in the negative to it, just
as you have :->

Janice Gelb | The only connection Sun has with
janice -dot- gelb -at- marvin -dot- eng -dot- sun -dot- com | this message is the return address.