Re: Styles: To Base or Not To Base

Subject: Re: Styles: To Base or Not To Base
From: "Paul Strasser" <paul -dot- strasser -at- windsor-tech -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 20:14:45 -0700

> I've heard 2 sides to these Styles issues in Word and I wonder what most
of
> you do in the real business world.
>
> 1. Do most of you just use Word's Built-In Styles for your document and
> perhaps tweak them a little, or do you create your own Custom Styles?

A little of both. Sometimes modify their styles, sometimes create my own.
But they're placed in specific templates. Common styles like Headings,
headers/footers, lists etc. can usually be tweaked to look the way we want
them to look while retaining functionality, such as the Headings/TOC
connection.

> 2. Do you break the Built-In or Custom Styles' Connection to the Normal
> Style and base them on "No Style" or leave the Styles you use based on the
> Normal Style?

No style. My custom templates are on documents that are shared on a network
(or just opened by curious people), and different people may have different
body texts or normal styles (the two most commonly connected styles) in
their normal.dot template. You can really muck up a document sometimes. If
you're the only person who is ever going to use the document, then it
doesn't matter. But if -- for example -- you're writing something that
you'll electronically submit to an instructor, or to a potential employer,
you might have trouble if you connect to anything.

Generally, though, if you're creating a template you don't want it made out
of MS Silly Putty. You want documents that use the template to have a
specific look and feel. So don't connect anything to anything.

Paul S, working late because someone mucked around with an old template.
Lafayette CO