Re: FrameMaker and MS Word

Subject: Re: FrameMaker and MS Word
From: Thomas Neuburger <thomasn -at- twelfthnight -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2002 09:55:35 -0800

Hello Steve,

I've put comments below. (Note--I'm on digest here.)

Tom Neuburger

The Masters Series: FrameMaker 6
ISBN 1-930597-01-0
On sale at www.bn.com

Subject: FrameMaker and MS Word
From: Steve Lefevers <scl -at- pcisys -dot- net>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 18:45:27 -0700

My Email Address is scl -at- pcisys -dot- net

I have just started using Framemaker 5.5.6 and have a couple of general
questions. I'm using Neuburger's Master Series book which is outstanding.

MS Word has a default Normal.dot Template inherent in the program.
It doesn't seem like Framemaker has a similar Template like Normal.dot.
True?

Correct. Each document contains an implicit template, consisting of the contents of its catalogs, master pages, reference pages, xref formats, and the like. This information can be transported from doc to doc or doc to book via File / Import / Formats.

Word allows for Section Breaks, Page Breaks, and also has the AutoCorrect
and AutoText Features. I see no mention of any of these in Framemaker. I'm
assuming Framemaker doesn't have these. True?

Frame has page breaks, implementable in several ways. The force page break in word is available via the Special menu, but that's not always best practice. If you can, use Start at Top of Page in the Paragraphs Designer to add this this property to Paragraph Tags (i.e., don't use it as an override).

In Word its always best to Use Format - Styles rather than directly
Formatting a Document. I'm assuming the same principle holds true for
Framemaker?

Yes, and in Frame it's easier to do (IMO).

Framemaker appears to use different terminology. Instead of Styles,
Framemaker calls its (styles) Tags (Paragraph and Character Tags).
Correct?

Yes. Also "formats", though "format" can refer either to on-the-fly formatting or to tags.

If I start a document in Word, (say I've already entered 3 pages of text)
and the manager says sorry, we need to have this document created in
Framemaker, can I copy just the text itself (not all its formatting) into
Framemaker so I don't have to retype all the text? If so, How?

Don't get into an OLE situation. Copy the Word text, and then use Paste Special to paste as plain text. Then reformat.

Good luck,

Tom

Thanks in advance.

Collect Royalties, Not Rejection Letters! Tell us your rejection story when you submit your manuscript to iUniverse Nov. 6 -Dec. 15 and get five free copies of your book. What are you waiting for? http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr