Introduction and Breaking in

Subject: Introduction and Breaking in
From: Laura Selden <lolli -at- erols -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2002 11:40:12 -0500

Greetings!

For several months now, I have been contemplating becoming a technical writer. Having been displaced from technician jobs last year in reductions-in-force from two different manufacturing companies--and with no jobs in my field in sight--I think that now would be a good time to learn something new. Another factor weighing in quite heavily is the fact that I don't want to be climbing ladders and pushing large tool boxes into my old age. I should add that it looks like I qualify for retraining because one of the former employers sent the work to China and closed the plant here (U.S.).

The Techwr-L home page has been most helpful, and I have been reading snippets from it when the opportunity arises. However, "live" guidance is even better, and that's why I'm here. From what I have gathered in researching local college curricula, there are no technical communication or tech writing degrees offered in this area. (Moving is NOT an option). However, there are some IT and computer curricula offered. In order to break into the tech writing field, what would be more useful--a degree in technical communication, IT, or computers?

Educationally, my background is a bit unusual--B.S. in Psych, A.A.S. degrees in electronics and instrumentation. My work experience ranges from biomedical equipment tech to instrument tech. At this point in my life, though, I'd like to get out of equipment maintenance and off the hard concrete floor. Actually, I 'd prefer to telecommute and would very much appreciate any advice or information anyone has to offer in this regard.

Appreciatively,
Laura

Attention ForeHelp and Doc-to-Help Users! Upgrade your existing product to RoboHelp for FREE, through January 15th. RoboHelp can import your existing Help projects! Learn how else RoboHelp can benefit you. www.ehelp.com/techwr