Making a Business Case for Separate Doc/Training Dept

Subject: Making a Business Case for Separate Doc/Training Dept
From: Megan Golding <mgolding -at- secureworks -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 11:29:03 -0500

Hello listers!

DISCLAIMER: I am NOT talking about my current employer :)

My question is this: What business reasons are there to get a CEO to support
splitting documentation and training out of an existing structure that
integrates these functions with an engineering/helpdesk department?

I want to propose to the CEO that he split out the documentation/training
functions from their current department. The hierarchy looks something like
this:

CEO

----------------------
| |
Development Support Engineering

| | | | |
Tech Supt OEM Support WWW Training Docs

I'm sure you'll want some background on the company I'm describing, so here
it is...
* Very small company - 1 training person and 1 documentation person
* Very flat organization - All managers are working managers and wield
little actual power
* The current manager for the trainer and writer has many other focus points
(tech support, the web site, OEM support, and all that).

If you were the CEO, what would compel you to make a new department in what
is currently a very flat organization? So, think like a CEO and let me know
if you have any ideas! Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Megan Golding
mgolding -at- secureworks -dot- net

RoboHelp for FREE, through January 15th. RoboHelp can import your existing
Help projects! Learn how else RoboHelp can benefit you. www.ehelp.com/techwr