Re: Lingua Franca Today

Subject: Re: Lingua Franca Today
From: "Jo Baer" <jbaer -at- tcfbank -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 13:01:09 -0600

There's a very good definition of the term in The Oxford Companion to the
English Language. The intended meaning in your example is "common language."
Since more people understand "common language" than "lingua franca," I would
choose the former, unless there is some overriding reason to use the latter.

Jo

--
Jo Baer
Senior Technical Writer

The mome rath isn't born that could outgrabe me.

Nicol Williamson

kelley wrote:

> so, i thought i'd stick a little sidebar/call out box in the report with a
> brief history of the phrase.
>
> what exactly do we call the english that is the lingua franca of the
> contemporary corporate world?
>
> corporate english? business english? american english? ??

RoboHelp for FREE, through January 15th. RoboHelp can import your existing
Help projects! Learn how else RoboHelp can benefit you. www.ehelp.com/techwr