RE: job interview question: ethical issues about portfolio

Subject: RE: job interview question: ethical issues about portfolio
From: "Secara, Maggie" <Maggie -dot- Secara -at- indymacbank -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 12:41:09 -0800

Not unique, Keith. I've been sitting here thinking the exact same
thing--and not for the first time (like every time this topic comes around).

Some more than others. On very rare occasions someone has wanted to
actually read the things. And once or twice, they've been passed around the
table in a group interview and various people have scanned them while
someone else was talking.

> Are you submitting these materials in advance, or going in
> with them in
> your briefcase?

> In my experience, nobody does more than briefly scan these items. They
> don't really READ them; there isn't enough time. I never leave the
> documents behind, and I've never been required to send in a sample in
> advance.

I am seldom asked to submit in advance. When I am, I send things belonging
to companies that no longer exist. I really just don't care who the
copyright belongs to in such cases.

> Thus, it seems like some of you are excessively worried about
> something
> that will just consume a small portion of the interview.

That's my feeling. In fact, I have often wished they would spend more time
on them, because they're actually pretty good! But most of my interviewing
managers aren't writers, and tend not to get past the fact that they look
real nice. ;)

Maggie