RE: job interview question: ethical issues about portfolio

Subject: RE: job interview question: ethical issues about portfolio
From: "Beilby, Margaret" <MBeilby -at- ebuilt -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 15:50:08 -0800

<<I've never been required to send in a sample in advance.>>

We always ask the candidates we interview to submit writing samples when
they submit their resumes. We don't schedule interviews with anyone until
we've seen writing samples. We are a small department with killer deadlines,
and this saves us a tremendous amount of time.

For the first interview, we ask each candidate to bring a more complete
portfolio that includes a user guide, a reference or programming manual, and
an online help system. We also ask the candidate to leave the samples with
us, and we either return the samples by mail or return them at the second
interview. If they are comfortable with this great; if not, it's not an
issue.

If they choose to leave the documents with us, the entire group goes through
them very carefully. If they choose not to leave the documents, we switch
off during the interview and one of us asks questions while the others go
over the documents.

Margaret
mbeilby -at- ebuilt -dot- com

RoboHelp for FREE, through January 15th. RoboHelp can import your existing
Help projects! Learn how else RoboHelp can benefit you. www.ehelp.com/techwr