RE: Lingua Franca Today

Subject: RE: Lingua Franca Today
From: kelley <kwalker2 -at- gte -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 14:31:35 -0500

At 11:15 AM 1/15/02 -0800, John Posada wrote:

> to forestall the concern that 'lingua franca' is inappropriate for
> technical writing. were this technical writing, i'd agree with you.
> it's not technical writing, however.

Remember your audience. This is a list of technical writers. It is
normal for us to assume that the post is about technical writing.

You wouldn't talk about bullets and information chunking on the
"I_wanna_be_hemingway" list.

Right. That's why I didn't ask whether lingua franca was an appropriate term to use. Please consult my original post where i asked if there was a better term for corporate English or business English, which is the phrase we use today in order to signify the same meaning as lingua franca once signified in the Mediterranean during the middle ages.

i don't think that was an inappropriate question to ask.

Kelley

Attention ForeHelp and Doc-to-Help Users! Upgrade your existing product to RoboHelp for FREE, through January 15th. RoboHelp can import your existing Help projects! Learn how else RoboHelp can benefit you. www.ehelp.com/techwr