RE: Trados & Word: differences in counting words

Subject: RE: Trados & Word: differences in counting words
From: "Steve Hudson" <steve -at- wright -dot- com -dot- au>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 09:48:08 +1100

"Dr. J. R. Tolkein" gives a word count of 5.
Two blank paragraphs gives a word count of 2.

So Initials may not be counted in Trados and word certainly has a problem
with making a paragraph without a fake end-of-para word.

This is just the start of the nightmare.

"Nightmare" gives a word count of 2 (word+para), "Night-mare" gives a word
count of ... FOUR! (word+word+separator+para). Double-click the hyphen in
any hyphenated word and just the hyphen selects, not the hyphenated word.
Std edit formula really, but the results are clear.

I could go on but what's the point? I think I have demonstrated that word
only APPROXIMATES the word count :-)

Steve Hudson , HDK List MVP
Principal Technical Writer
Wright Technologies Pty Ltd (Aus)
EyeSpring - the future of graphics has been created.