Re: Error Message Appendix

Subject: Re: Error Message Appendix
From: CarolAnne -dot- Wall -at- minnesotamutual -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 08:21:20 -0600

I forgot to add -- the error messages were in their own section of the
documentation, alphabetized by the error message text. It was the easiest
way for our users to look up the solutions.

Carol Anne

> I once worked on a system where it didn't matter how eloquently the
> programmer might phrase the error message. It was still going to be a
five
> step process to correct the error. (it was a very technical system) So
we
> took this approach in the documentation.
>
> Error Message Statement
> Problem: <insert detailed description of the problem -- might as well
> educate your users>
> Solution: <insert detailed steps to solve the problem>
>
> It worked for the users, and it made life a little easier for the
Technical
> Support team.

Carol Anne T. Wall, FLMI
Technical Writer - Individual Business Technology, Minnesota Life Insurance
Company
carolanne -dot- wall -at- minnesotamutual -dot- com