Re: [Does Dungeons and Dragons make technical writers?]

Subject: Re: [Does Dungeons and Dragons make technical writers?]
From: Hannah <to -dot- hannah -at- usa -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: 16 Jan 2002 11:10:30 EST

hi...my name is hannah and i play d&d.... :-)

i do think there is a connection, but i don't think d&d created my skills. i
may have improved my abilities, but it didn't teach them to me. setting up a
module to run or even setting up to play is easier for those with our
organization skills. how many of you developed a process or tools to expedite
creation time? (i suspect all.) and i bet those tools went through revisions
and evolved over time. how many wanted to take those original GM screens and
revamp them to be more logical and include all the information they didn't
deem necessary?

but these are things i do in most aspects of my life. planning a vacation -
i'm organized, i research my options, i put in the time in planning to get the
most from my precious days off. in soccer - i get the game schedule and plan
out the practices, check out the competition, summarize their strengths and
flaws before game time, work on a plan of defense - all before we get to the
field.

on the other side of the coin - how many (d&d) players did you know that had
the one or two necessary books and half a page written up for their character?
they constantly would borrow books or have someone else look up data on a
table or would have the majority of the information stored in their head? my
husband's one of those. writing stuff down does nothing for him. a diagram and
raw data are all he needs to jolt his memory on the rest. the result: an
engineer.

i will say d&d gave me plenty of practice in planning ahead and trying to
think of all possible problems to situations that haven't even arisen. (we
need to cross a chasm over hot lava? but didn't we start this in a city?
huh...)

hannah Bissell
to -dot- hannah -at- usa -dot- net

Get free e-mail and a permanent address at http://www.amexmail.com/?A=1