Re: Reality check

Subject: Re: Reality check
From: "Lois Patterson" <lois -at- dowco -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 14:35:38 -0800

There are so few software projects that conform to timelines anyway. Do you
think they will realistically have the product finished so that your work
will be required in that four weeks, or will this discussion of requiring it
in four weeks soon be moot?

I was once working on a job where there was an amazingly close deadline to
finish a huge manual. I was worried because the product was nowhere close to
finished, and thus hard to document. Another more experienced person on the
software project did not seem at all concerned. Since I had just started
working there, I didn't realize how artificial the deadline was. The product
still was not complete, eight months later.

Lois Patterson