Instructional Shows/Junkyard Wars (was Re: Does D & D...)

Subject: Instructional Shows/Junkyard Wars (was Re: Does D & D...)
From: "Jonathan Soukup" <JSoukup -at- at-track -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 10:14:55 -0600

>>> "Trese, Timothy G." <Timothy -dot- G -dot- Trese -at- SAICSeals -dot- com> 01/17/02 09:16AM

Linnea writes

[quote]
I'm wondering if, in a few years, we're going to see TWs coming in
inspired by Junkyard Wars, which is much the same thing, only it's
techno-imagination-problem solving instead of D&D's

******

Take that one step further to the purely instructional shows, like
"This Old House." As TV gets worse, I'm searching for better programming
and finding more and more instructional channels. Programs like home
improvement shows, fishing shows, automotive shows, and food shows are
all pretty much instructional technical programs. I thought it was just
a guy thing for a while, but the Food Network is really fascinating.

I watched a 30 minute show last night called "Good Eats" which featured
all the different ways to select, cook and store egg plants! It even
included a brief life history of the egg plant! I was amazed. There's
got to be some seriously challenging tech writing going on for that
show. I feel inspired just watching it.

I'm really wondering how someone gets involved in these shows, doing
the research, etc. I'd love to be involved with something like that.
They've got to have writers and researchers.

-Jonathan Soukup