RE: Does Dungeons and Dragons make technical writers?

Subject: RE: Does Dungeons and Dragons make technical writers?
From: Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- jci -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 10:41:27 -0600

>> > Hence the continued popularity of Sun Tzu's _The_Art_of_War_.
>> >
>> And Miyamoto Musashi's Book of Five Rings. One handles
>> strategic planning
>> and diplomacy; the other, skirmish tactics.

I'll go for Musashi as well. The advice he gives serves quite well in the
corporate arena. "Do not go to your death with a weapon undrawn." If you
know you're about to get into an office fight, tap *all* your allies,
looking for resources you can call upon if pressed. Works also when about
to give up on a hostile SME. You can often find the bit of
information/insight to flip his attitude in the most unlikely places. BoFR
is an excellent general resource. I highly recommend it.

>Let's not dismiss the popularity of Coyote-Roadrunner cartoons, either.
Who
>among us has not learned a lesson or two from Wile E.? :>

There comes a time in every adventure when you have to ask yourself, "What
would Bugs Bunny do?"

Oh, and I not only *played* 'em; I wrote 'em and reviewed 'em and even took
part in a couple of APAs. I plead guilty and throw myself on the mercy of
the court.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224