RE: I like mine better, but I don't know why.

Subject: RE: I like mine better, but I don't know why.
From: "Trese, Timothy G." <Timothy -dot- G -dot- Trese -at- SAICSeals -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 13:08:57 -0500

John:

If you're going to have a bulleted list introduced with the stem:

"This new process delivers the following benefits to the business:"

--then what follows is a list of "benefits," a noun. To have truly
parallel construction/grammatical agreement, every one of the bullets
following should be a noun phrase (as bullets most often are). It would
be incorrect to start the bullets for the stem above with any sort of
verb. The bullets following the above stem should start with nouns
(gerunds, for example):

-Making managers feel warm and fuzzy.
-Keeping the ISO mafia off our butts.
-Occupying lots of space in proposals.

If the bullets MUST be verbs, make your stem a subject noun phrase, and
every bullet a predicate starting with a verb:

The new process:
-makes managers feel warm and fuzzy.
-keeps the ISO mafia off our butts.
-occupies lots of space in proposals.

BUT. What your really trying to do here might lend itself to a classic
feature-benefit table. Why not construct a table enumerating the
particular features of the process on the left, and what that feature
does better/faster/cheaper on the right.

HTH.
Tim