Re: Reality Check II - salaries in the new world

Subject: Re: Reality Check II - salaries in the new world
From: kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 10:37:07 -0700

This is a very interesting topic - what do companies pay now that the
rules have all changed?

I've wondered this as I've watched my company go through three massive
layoffs. I've worked my way up in this company, and assume that I'd
probably have to move down a notch or two at a new company if someday I
get "voted off the island."

I hope it doesn't happen, but I gotta be realistic. I think I'd probably
set a mental minimum wage; an amount beneath which I'd be unwilling to
accept a job. But choosing that amount is going to be tricky.

Also, now more than ever, I think it's important to brush up the
much-dreaded negotiation skills. We've discussed these at length in the
past, and it's definitely time to try some of these methodologies on for
size.

To go into an interview with no negotiating strategy in place would be
foolish, particularly in this buyer's market.

Good luck to all of us!

- Keith Cronin

Tech writing: Something to do between layoffs.