Re: Language Check List

Subject: Re: Language Check List
From: Stan Schwartz <stanz -at- cam -dot- org>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2002 09:55:18 -0500

At 9:41 AM +0200 1/20/02, Radwa Darwish wrote:

check list of most frequent errors our programmers unintentionally leave in
screen text, I have been editing screen text myself and there has been a
lot, I can list them all and their corrections as examples, but I think it
would be offensive and disorganized, most errors include spacing,
punctuation marks, typos and abbreviations... I just want to present a well
sorted check list and I need the guide lines...

Hi,
Keeping in mind that errors are unintentional, you are asking your programmers to wear two hats. Are you using your resources to best advantage? I would not want my programming commented on by programmers. My response would be, "What do you expect of me? I'm a writer. Hire a programmer."

The list is sure to cause resentment if presented to your programmers. Present it to management with a document requesting proofreading services. If that isn't politically expedient, use it to solidify your own contribution within the company.

That said, you might try grouping the errors by type as well as showing the frequency of each. The nature of the errors might prove enlightening. Off the top of my nearly-bald-and-whatever-hair-is-left-is-grey head, I suggest: Errors of omission, spelling, grammar, bulky phrasing, improper word usage, and punctuation. There must be others. If you find that many of the same kinds of errors are recurring, you can devote adequate resources toward correcting them. HTH,