RE: ANDREW PLATO: Google search

Subject: RE: ANDREW PLATO: Google search
From: Tom Murrell <trmurrell -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 11:36:04 -0800 (PST)

--- bryan -dot- westbrook -at- amd -dot- com wrote:
> I apparently play for the Detroit Lions when I'm not racing stock cars of
> singing with my band in Houston. <g>
>
> Then there is the guy who edits the Woody Allen FAQ, the one who contributed
> to the Tattoo FAQ, and the underground press poet...oh, wait, those three are
> all me.

All kidding aside, I do think Andrew was making a valid point, possibly several
valid points. For example, it can be, ahem, embarrassing to see some of one's
earlier TECHWR-L posts when researching the archives (or even doing a Google
search). One can also be surprised by what turns up in a search on one's name,
including the variants of one's name.

Another point, which I think Bryan and others are making, is that just because
someone gets a 'hit' on "you" doesn't mean they have the right "you." And even
if a "reasonable" person should at least pause when seeing a "Tom Murrell" with
multiple entries in multiple countries, that doesn't mean said reasonable
person WILL pause. They may assume I'm all of those people.

As usual, it cuts more than one way.

=====
Tom Murrell
Lead Technical Writer
Alliance Data Systems
Columbus, Ohio
mailto:tmurrell -at- columbus -dot- rr -dot- com
Personal Web Page - http://home.columbus.rr.com/murrell/index.html
Page Last Updated 01/15/02

Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail!
http://promo.yahoo.com/videomail/