RE: Keep health records private? (Was: Gray hair, etc)

Subject: RE: Keep health records private? (Was: Gray hair, etc)
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 20:12:27 -0500

Good evening,

I find this thread most fascinating as I am a registered health professional
for 25 years and a medical " tech" writer for over a year.

As a health professional I am still required to sign a confidentiality
clause pertaining to any patient contact or discussion. At my current place
of employ I attend a yearly symposium, discussion, and written dissertation
of requirements having to do with confidentiality. This is the norm so it
is nothing new or extraordinary.

I have to say that while a health history is important in aspects of one's
life, some of the inner particulars have nothing to do with the competence
of an individual finding a new job. Health has much to do with the
"unhealthy" working environment we all now live in.

The stress level for those currently unemployed in my newly adopted industry
has to much more to do than pounding the pavement to just put food in their
children's mouths than we did in years past. Paying the rents or mortgages
and living these "expensive" days is insurmountable for so many. Heart
wrenching and very depressing.

While some aspects of medical or psychological history is important for
employers to know, aren't some of the symptoms just a sign of the stress of
the moment and not a long term affliction? I believe that a few visits to a
therapist or minor anxiety attacks have nothing to do with the complete
entity of the person. It just shows that they are human, having normal
feelings, and emotions. Some aspects do not need to be on a health record
for a potential employer. Or should be.

Besides the obvious resume of competent writing skills, I feel that
accessing a criminal background check before hiring a potential employee is
far more pertinent than a health record in these days and times. Just my
"3" cents.