Re: Online fonts and sizes -- new usability study

Subject: Re: Online fonts and sizes -- new usability study
From: Stan Schwartz <stanz -at- cam -dot- org>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 23:54:17 -0500

Ho Hum.
It might be new research but it's old news. Nice paper for a thesis - not much else. As my mum used to say, "Ya gotta start somewhere." It's good groundwork that reinforces need for serious work with competent typographers to help guide future efforts.

On it's own, this thing is amusing as I covered all this in an introduction to typography class I gave today to some communications majors at a local university. I am in complete agreement with a colleague who said of this study, " I wish they had a typographer involved. As usual, people who are not designers test design ? while being ignorant about design basics."

This stuff is basic to graphic design. It is covered in the first hours of typography education and sharpened with experience and personal exploration. There's really not much that anyone can do until true high density displays are available. High resolution is necessary for typography not imaging, contrary to popular opinion.

Comparing laser printing with normal printing echos what the above research shows for screen fonts: better results for higher resolution.