Re: Online fonts and sizes -- new usability study

Subject: Re: Online fonts and sizes -- new usability study
From: "Dick Margulis " <margulis -at- mail -dot- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 14:14:36 -0500

Keith, stop being so defensive. We're not attacking you, your design sense, or your font preferences. We're attacking sloppy research with invalid conclusions presented as fact.

kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com wrote:

>While you both raise very valid points, I have to say that I've seen
>EXTREMELY thorough and scientific arguments for serif fonts being the most
>readable.

No you haven't. That's our point. These studies have never been well reasoned, thorough, or scientific. They have all been by well-meaning people who thought they knew what they were studying but never bothered to read the existing craft literature to find out what was really going on.

>I guess that's why the simplicity of this test appealed to me. Sit a bunch
>of people down at the same machine, have them read the same docs in
>different fonts and sizes, measure how fast they read them, and ask them
>which they think is prettier. Gives me a ballpark idea of what fonts I
>should try using on my online docs. Cool.

No. Repeat after Bruce and me: The results are invalid. The results are invalid. The results are invalid. The results are invalid.

>Yes, those highly subjective and poorly thought out responses will come
>from average untrained amateurs.

They aren't poorly thought out responses from the test subjects. It is a poorly designed experiment. Therefore the results are invalid. The results are invalid. The results are invalid.