RE: Dealing with changes in documentation for translation purposes

Subject: RE: Dealing with changes in documentation for translation purposes
From: "Steve Hudson" <cruddy -at- optushome -dot- com -dot- au>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 23:37:25 +1100

Quick answer; Outsource.

Long answer is only possible in generalities.

First, to determine any change one needs two things - irrespective of the
discipline the change belongs to: a baseline and a delta. If you have two
measurements, the seond is only relevant relative to the first. Its the
relationship that's crucial.

This then requires a comparison of this release vs last release. As pointed
out already a good translation system (are you outsourcing translation? if
so - forget this entire email, just send your translation company the new
docs and they should only charge for the new stuff as the rest is in mem)
will memorize already translated material and with good fuzzy logic
(operator augmented), this can stretch somewhat further.

So, your basic problem is generating your list of deltas across a document
set. I suggest taking a squizz at www.mvps.org/word (assuming you use word)
to get a basic macro for processing all docs in a dir and expand on it to
achieve rapid rollout.

Steve Hudson, Word Heretic
HDK List MVP
Word help and tools: heretic -at- tdfa -dot- com