Re: dreaded part of the job - and OCR software Q

Subject: Re: dreaded part of the job - and OCR software Q
From: dwiltshire -at- pnmt -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 09:38:21 -0500

Since I'm the only person in our office with a scanner, I get handed all the
scan jobs. I don't really mind the task or responsibility itself, but it does
erode the time available for working on projects. While the scanning function is
quick and easy, the OCR (optical character recognition) phase isn't anywhere
near 100% accurate. This means there is always significant clean-up needed.
Also, most formatting goes out the window too. The other option is to scan the
page(s) as graphic files, which results in huge file sizes.

By the way, I'm thinking of upgrading the OCR software to ScanSoft OmniPage Pro
11. Cost is almost $500!!! Does anybody have experience with this package? Does
it do a better job of retaining formatting or speeding up the clean-up stage of
text-scanned documents? If it saves a lot of time, it will pay for itself
quickly.

Thanks,

Dan

Dan Wiltshire