RE: RE: Lone Writer Struggles - A Horror Rant

Subject: RE: RE: Lone Writer Struggles - A Horror Rant
From: "White, Bonita" <BWhite -at- CSXWT -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 08:37:30 -0500

>There's no shame in telling Mgmt that she is not working out.

And it may save your own job. I was going to be out for about six weeks
last year and we needed to hire a temp to continue working on requirements
while I was out. We hired someone who looked great on paper, had wonderful
writing samples, and said all the right things in the interview. But as
soon as I left, this person who had looked so great in theory, turned out to
be everything but. He didn't follow the styles, he really didn't know how
to use FrameMaker even though he said he was certified and had samples that
were in FrameMaker, and he didn't listen to management, he was slow, and
argumentative, and he alienated everyone with whom I had built a
relationship.

When I came back early, my boss thought he would conduct a little test--he
told me this after we fired the guy--to see if I would let him know how bad
my temporary replacement had been. So as I was going through the documents
that had been worked on while I was out and found the mistakes, et al, I
went and told my boss what I had found. He asked me what I thought we
should do and I said let the guy go early. It meant that we had to pay him
for the remainder of his contract, and that I had a lot of work to repair,
but my boss saw it as a sign of a good 'manager' in me to say that a mistake
had been made.

A error is not a mistake unless you fail to correct it.

Bonita