Got Process?

Subject: Got Process?
From: Andrew Plato <intrepid_es -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 07:44:01 -0800 (PST)

Steve Hudson said...

> Of course, being a process freak, we like to point out the real cost of
> quality, and maybe the proliferation of non-process shops is directly
> proportional to the high rate of failure in tech industries...

Got facts?

Actually, there are lots of case studies that would vehemently prove you
wrong, Steve. The most famous one I know of is the Scient vs. Verde (see
http://www.soundbitten.com/verde_c.html). Scient developed an
"award-winning" process methodology and then used it to torture clients
driving them into bankruptcy. I knew somebody involved in that deal and
they said it was absolutely absurd what Scient did. Their people were so
obsessed with implementing the "Scient way" that they didn't do ANY real
work.

The equation for success is just not that simple. I've run a business for
7+ years. Process isn't the key. Its far more intricate than that.

> Do it once, do it proper.

Duh.

> I did Y2K remediation work for the hospitals in SE syd, I read on here
> that some folk write for equipment manufacturers with safety
instructions
> that come with fatal consequences.

Well, they should make a little extra time to edit the docs. But for the
900,000,000 other businesses on the planet that are not involved in fatal
technologies, its okay to cut a few corners.

> Plus, if its perfection is so irrelevant, why does this planet have so
> many copy-editors, proof-readers etc?

Perfection isn't irrelevant - its impossible.

> I cannot see promoting complacency or sloppiness as doing any good...

Process does not equal quality. There are plenty of well-planned processes
that produce total garbage. Again, the components of success are just not
that simple.

Andrew Plato

http://auctions.yahoo.com