Re: Assistance needed: Word skills/methodology

Subject: Re: Assistance needed: Word skills/methodology
From: "Barnett, Eva" <Eva -dot- Barnett -at- aketontechnologies -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 11:03:42 -0800

Hi Ellen,

For what it's worth, I learned Word by:

a. reading the on-line help files

b. hearing that a feature (such as "styles") existed and messing around with it until I got it to work

c. when I encountered a problem (e.g. numbering), taking the time to figure out how to do it the best way

d. when I had a few minutes of free time, poking around in the interface to see if I could find something cool

After about a week I had the basics down, and by the end of my first project (Word & RoboHELP) I was good enough with it to be the one people turned to with Word questions.

Of course learning styles and situations differ, but from the information you've provided, I'm not sure that you need a class or even a book. You might want to try just getting the content written by learning each feature as you need it.

--Eva

Ellen Vanrenen wrote:
<quote>
I need some help in these two areas:
1. I need the name of a few excellent Word books. I have to develop my Word
skills to an advanced level. Also, can anyone recommend training?
2. Methodology/Workflow- I could use some references for developing a
working, empirical workflow.
</quote>