RE: Baaad Hard Return

Subject: RE: Baaad Hard Return
From: "Lisa Wright" <liwright -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 22:33:12 -0800

Meg,
EMBED your graphics inline with text, don't anchor them, for heaven's
sake! Then they play nicely when you edit the text or send the doc to
someone else. They're just great big characters with their own
paragraphs. You can create a style for them so they have the correct
spacing above and below, and (this is the best part!) you can even
automatically follow with a caption style! ("How to impress all your
tech writer friends!" woohoo!)

IF you are doing a fancy-schmancy layout, such as a newsletter, as
Justin suggested (where you want wrap-around text), then play
*carefully* with the anchors and the settings that fix them to a point
on the page or a line of text. Understand all the settings before you
send your doc off to some other poor soul or suffer through hours
yourself of finding and reaffixing your graphics in their proper homes.

(Seriously now) Not all graphics will paste/insert as embedded
objects--I can't remember which off the top of my head, but to fix it,
right-click the graphic, select Format Picture, click Layout, select "In
line with text" (the first option on the left).

I've run into multi-object graphics in PowerPoint that wouldn't embed,
but I fixed that by grouping the object in PP before copying and
pasting.

Lisa