Applying Online--Take II...And a personal POV

Subject: Applying Online--Take II...And a personal POV
From: wordsync -at- swbell -dot- net
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 00:02:16 -0700

John Gilger wrote:
"For all those that carefully use Word styles to format your resumes, how
many use the resume templates supplied in Word?"

I don't use the Word resume templates. I prefer to design my own layout
and styles. And yes, I use a borderless table to format my information. I
think it makes a neater presentation.

Also, I know this is a writers' list, but, as an editor and proofreader,
it seems that my chosen profession is getting a bad rap. Well, not really
bad, but many posts to the list do seem to find people like me a nuisance.
(I know I can obsess over correct word choice or punctuation if I let
myself, but I do my best to avoid this pitfall. Please tell me there is
room in this world (and on this list) for me despite these failings!)

I understand the "nuisance" point of view, and I understand that content
in most instances is more important than appearance. However, a properly
placed comma can make a huge difference in meaning (consider safety
procedures). I've always felt that my job as an editor was to read
material from the user's point of view, correcting grammar and punctuation
as necessary to make the material correct and concise, and to help the
writer present his or information effectively. I make many comments and
suggestions, but I expect the person with the greatest understanding of
the material (i.e., the writer) to accept or reject the comments and
suggestions as best fits the material and the targeted audience.

By the way, this isn't really a rant. I've learned so much from this list
and its contributors, and the perspectives of others always provides food
for thought. Thank you one and all.

Oh, one other thing. I tend to use the mouse more than the keyboard, but I
think it comes from old habits, like thinking better with a pen or pencil
in my hand.

Pat Glass
wordsync -at- swbell -dot- net

--You can warm your socks in the oven, but that don't make 'em biscuits.--
from "Never Ask a Man the Size of His Spread," by Gladiola Montana