insomnia, word styles and an overwhelming number of replies

Subject: insomnia, word styles and an overwhelming number of replies
From: Robert Nagle <idiotprogrammer -at- austin -dot- rr -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 05:18:05 -0800

I read yesterday's digest of the list with interest, curiosity and amusement. I am a job-seeking writer and I remember playing with different versions of resumes and different styles before settling on a final version. It's really hard to imagine what a potential hiring manager might be thinking when weeding out resumes. My suspicion is that a lot of hiring authorities are not tech writers themselves and are unlikely to notice the subtleties of a word document except that the fact that the margins are straight.

I always chuckle a bit every time I read the obligatory gibe against MS Word on this list. Although I prefer Star Office for daily work and despise what Microsoft stands for, I'm always delighted when I discover a new Word feature. It is quite an amazing product. One writer here made a sarcastic remark about the grammar checking function. Just for fun, I decided to check it out, and it alerted me to a very subtle grammatical mistake I would have probably missed (even though I had to skip 15 other "errors" it found).

The responses on this list are delightful and informative(we tech writers are a clever bunch, no?). But I rarely get the chance to read them; I generally only look at it very late at night when I am trying to kill time before going to sleep. Hey, better than counting sheep, isn't it?

It seems absolutely amazing though how many people actively read and reply here. When I worked at Dell, I often followed reading lists, but gosh, keeping up with this list is practically a full time job in itself. How do you guys manage it? I'm a voracious reader and writer, but even I find the size and breadth of this list overwhelming for one sitting.

--
Robert J. Nagle
Technical Writer, Trainer & Linux Aficionado